OTI has been remiss in offering regular blog posts these past couple of months but with good cause and great outcomes!
So what’s in store for 2010? Our authored book, Therapy Online: A Practical Guide was just released and we have another edited book, The Use of Technology in Mental Health: Applications, Ethics and Practice due out this summer. This book has 30 chapters with a total of 47 contributing authors from across the globe.
As promised, we are offering online training about online therapy. We have launched the first 6 workshops with more to come. Each workshop is the equivalent of 5 clock hours of instruction. The workshops are online and self-paced. The cost per workshop is $119.00/70.00 £.
- Introduction to Cyberspace: A Primer for Helping Professionals
- Relationships in Cyberspace: An Introduction for Helping Professionals
- The Online Therapeutic Relationship: Theoretical Considerations
- Ethical Considerations of Online Therapy
- Working Therapeutically Using Asynchronous Email
- Working Therapeutically Using Synchronous Chat
The workshop details can be accessed at our training portal. We have partnered with DigitalChalk to bring you a user-friendly yet state-of-the-art experience. Continuing Education credits for U.S. psychologists, social workers and counselors will be available very soon.
Just create an account and peruse our catalog! Your account will remain active should you decide to return to take a course.
We are giving our website a facelift so resources are easier to navigate.
We will soon offer an Online Therapy Institute ~verified~ seal that will provide a way for online helping professionals to indicate to the public that their site meets standards of best practice.
We will be facilitating groups and workshops as well as co-sponsoring conferences online and at our Second Life location.
We are collaborating with others to add to our Ethical Framework resources.
We have created:
- Ethical Framework for the Use of Technology in Mental Health
- Ethical Framework for the Use of Technology for Career and School Guidance
- Ethical Framework for the Use of Technology in Professional Coaching
- Ethical Framework for the Use of Technology in Crisis, Disaster and Critical Incident Interventions
We are offering a directory listing to everyone who joins our social network at www.onlinetherapysocialnetwork.com and your listing will be posted at www.onlinetherapydirectory.net.
For OTI members who practice online, a website listing in the OTI Web Directory (online counseling category) will be added provided the following standards are met:
- Offer encrypted services for email, chat and web conferencing.
- List level of education, schools attended and dates graduated.
- List certifications and licenses if applicable with verification web links.
- List crisis information or a link on the website’s home page.
- List therapist’s alternate contact information in addition to email.
Mostly, we will continue to encourage dialogue among our members and friends at Online Therapy Institute so that we can all learn and grow together!
Kate and DeeAnna