- Therapy Online? Good as face to face? This CNN article summarizes the findings of a study published in the Lancet in 2009.
- Online psychotherapy as good as visiting in person This article in the India Times summarizes the findings of a study published in 2009 in the Australian and New Zealand Journal of Psychiatry
- Can’t sleep? Try Online Therapy This article in US News and World Report summarizes a study published in Sleep Journal in 2009.
- VA’s Telemental Health Efficacy Surpasses Face-to-Face Encounters “This is the first large-scale study to show that telemedicine dramatically reduced hospital admissions and total hospitalized days,” Dr. Linda S. Godleski said…
- For a list of these and other studies visit Breakthrough.com’s page about the effectiveness of online therapy: http://www.breakthrough.com/effectiveness.
Azy Barak, PhD conducted A Comprehensive Review and a Meta-Analysis of the Effectiveness of Internet-Based Psychotherapeutic Interventions . This meta-analysis combined all of the studies involving internet-based psychotherapeutic interventions (9764 clients) up to the year 2007. The outcome indicated that internet based interventions were just as effective as face-to-face interventions.
Azy also offers a bibliography on internet-based therapy and a host of other topics as well:
Net Behavior & Usage
Children, Adolescents, & the Internet
The Internet & the Elderly
Net Addiction, Crime, Pathological Use, & Suicide
Online Information Seeking Behavior
Online Gaming and Gambling Behavior
Virtual Communities, Online Groups, & Social Networks
Online Shopping Behavior
Internet-Assisted Therapy & Counseling
Online Support Groups & Self-Help
Online Testing & Assessment
The Internet & Sexuality
The Internet & Work & Career Behavior
Internet Research Methodology & Ethics