There’s a new kid on the Avatar Therapy block. Virgils~ Adolescent counseling in virtual spaces. Meet the next generation of clients where they’re at—in HIPAA-compliant worlds built for one-on-one & group psychotherapy. The platform is accessible from phones, laptops, and VR headsets.
I have joined Virgils’ Advisory Board and I look forward to offering updates on this exciting new venture featuring avatar interventions.
Clinical Pilot Program
Virgils is actively seeking U.S.-based licensed therapists to participate in our pilot program who:
- currently work with kids & teens (esp. neurodivergent clients)
- have experience running groups
- are tech-savvy w/ an appetite for innovation
All providers who participate receive an Oculus Quest 2 headset + free onboarding, training, and access to our HIPAA-compliant platform.
This is a great platform for therapists in the United States to explore. Licensed therapists who work with kids & teens can join the clinical pilot program HERE.
Avatar Therapy Course
If you are new to the concept of Avatar Therapy, Kate and myself (DeeAnna) have been teaching and talking on the topic for many years.
Our course, The Role of Avatars in Telemental Health: An Introduction to Virtual World Interventions, Gamer Therapy and Virtual Immersion Therapy is a 10-hour introduction to the topic.
Learn more! Here is a list of our publications and interviews about Avatar Therapy. Dip your toes in the virtual water!
- Anthony, K., Goss, S, & Nagel, D.M..(2017). Wider uses of technology in therapy. In Feltham, C., Hanley, T., & Winter, L. A. (Eds.). The SAGE handbook of counselling and psychotherapy, (4th ed, pp.639-644). Sage: UK.
- Anthony, K., & Nagel, D. (2014). Avatars—opening the virtual doors of therapy. In Psychotherapy 2.0 (pp. 133-145). Routledge: UK.
- Goss, S., Anthony, K. & Nagel, D. (2012). Wider issues of technology in therapy. In C. Feltham & I. Horton (Eds) The sage handbook of counseling and psychotherapy, (3rd ed, pp. 594-601). Sage Publications, London.
- Nagel, D.M. & Anthony, K., with Louw, G. (2012). Cyberspace as culture: a new paradigm for therapists and coaches. Therapeutic Innovations in Light of Technology. Volume 2, Issue 4: 24-36
- Nagel, D.M. (2011). Login2life: Expanding the cyberculture pov. Therapeutic Innovations in Light of Technology, Vol 2, Issue 2. 47-50.
- Nagel, D. & Anthony, K. (2011). Avatar therapy. The CAPA Quarterly, Counsellors and Psychotherapists Association of NSW Inc. Australia. Issue 3, pp. 6-9.
- Nagel, D,M. & Anthony, K. (2011). Refections on ayya’s journey. In J. Spingern-Koff & C. Berz (Eds.) Life 2.0 viewer’s guide (pp.12-14). L 2 Film, LLC.
- Nagel, D.M. & Anthony, K. (2010). “Life 2.0: virtual world, new reality”. Therapeutic Innovations in Light of Technology, Vol 1 (2): 20-25
- Nagel, D.M & Anthony, K. (2010). “Alice in virtualLand”. Therapeutic Innovations in Light of Technology, Vol 1 (1): 16-27
- Nagel, D.M. (2010). Avatar therapy. Newsletter of the Mental Health Informatics Special Interest Group, The Royal College of Psychiatrists, UK. Autumn, pp. 9.
- Nagel, D.M. (2009). People with aspergers syndrome learn social skills in second life. Telehealth world. Spring. p.1.
- Nagel, D.M. (2008). Health education & intervention in a virtual world. Telehealth world, Fall, p.8.
- Mathews, M. Coyle, D & Anthony, K. (2006) ‘Personal Investigator’, in Therapy Today: 17(7) 30 – 33.
- Merz, [Nagel] D. (2003). In K. Anthony (Ed.), Information technology: future therapy stories. Counselling and Psychotherapy Journal. 14 (9).
Also, check out the archives of TILT Magazine, Therapeutic Innovations in Light of Technology for additional articles related to avatar therapy. Kate and DeeAnna co-edited the magazine for 5 ½ years from 2010-2015.
- Avatar as Prosthesis 1 2016 is an Artistic Research Project by multidisciplinary artist Gretta Louw investigating the relationship between physical and virtual bodies- Kate Anthony interviewed
- APA’s Monitor on Psychology A second life for practice? & Virtual training tools March 2012 Tori Angeles interviews DeeAnna Nagel and writes about avatar therapy and virtual worlds.
- Scientific American Mind 2011 Distance Therapy Comes of Age Robert Epstein discusses online therapy; Online Therapy Institute’s chat room and pictures of Kate and DeeAnna’s avatars are featured.
- Fast Company, November 2010 DeeAnna Merz Nagel participated in Fast Company’s The Influence Project and her avatar is one of 28,795 photographs received as part of the social media experiment. All of the photographs were included as part of aspecial feature section in this issue.
- Popular Science December 14, 2010 Virtual Therapists: The Avatar will See You Now
- New Scientist September 18, 2010 DeeAnna Merz Nagel and Kate Anthony interviewed for article, The Virtual Therapist Will See You Now
- inMotion May/June 2010, Volume 20, Issue 3 DeeAnna Merz Nagel interviewed~ Online Therapy and Social Interaction
- SHRM March 19, 2010 DeeAnna Merz Nagel interviewed Avatar Gambling: Pleasurable Pastime or Potential Problem?
- Science Notes 2009 Kate Anthony and DeeAnna Merz Nagel interviewed in Second Life I Am My Avatar